Little Lewdon

Lower Lewdon

                 Home  Inside  Outside  Photo Gallery  Directions  Prices  Availability  Links 

 Quotes  Places  Plans  Wildlife  Lower Lewdon  Terms 

Lower Lewdon area seems to have been first called Leudown in 1585. The word has the English elements of hleo (= shelter) and dun  (=hill or down). Lewdon Farm House is shown on the 1880 & 1908 OS maps to be on what is now the lawn to the East side of the cottage; only buried foundations now remain and Lewdon Farm is now up the hill off the B3254. There are medieval and post medieval sites off the lane and at Hessaford Farm (first mentioned in 1284 and probably meaning Witches Ford in medieval English).

Lower Lewdon has probably always been farmed by low intensity grazing. The low lying wet grassland, most of which is now owned by the Cornwall Wildlife Trust, is now being reclaimed from encroaching willow scrub and restored as Culm grassland (a threatened habitat found only in Cornwall, Devon and Brittany). Our 8.25 acre field is being managed together with the Culm area by light grazing with zero chemical and fertilizer use to encourage species diversity.  2.4 acres at the top of the lane has been planted with trees and is a developing woodland. 

 

 

 

              wildlife information                  

 

Click to email us

Raymond & Barbara Wiles, Lower Lewdon, Kilkhampton, Bude, Cornwall, EX23 9RY

01288 321 584

 

 Quotes  Places  Plans  Wildlife  Lower Lewdon  Terms 

 Home  Inside  Outside  Photo Gallery  Directions  Prices  Availability  Links